This establishment has been a part of our community since 1929 when Mary Eavers White started selling her now-famous WhiteWay bread. With her husband, George Franklin White (and four children), the Whites lived upstairs and called their business, “White Way Lunch.” Along with the bread, they sold homemade ice cream, pies, and sandwiches to the cattle/turkey drivers, CCC workers, neighbors, hunters and travelers who passed by on Route 250. At the time, the farm was many acres, stretching past the historic Buckhorn Inn. The Whites used homegrown produce, dairy and meats from their farm. It was by all means, a family enterprise.
In 1958, their daughter, Charlotte, took the reins and ran the popular diner with her husband Lawrence and four children. (Yes, a family of six lived upstairs during this time period!)
Carolyn Maxwell was one of Charlotte’s four children, who all had a role in running the business. It was Mrs. Maxwell who graciously taught us the original bread recipe from the 1920s. We are committed to always offer our customers and friends the original WhiteWay bread. White Way Lunch was sold out of the family in the mid-1980s. It continued as an eatery until closing in 2009. In 2012, Jack and Mary Wilson purchased the property and spent the next four years bringing it back to what you see today…White’s Wayside. Our hope is to not only bring back recollections of the past but also create new memories by providing a place for our community to gather around warm food, good people and share a part of our mountain